8 Ways to Stay Healthy This Winter
1. Boost Your Immunity
Eating well, getting enough sleep, and staying active are all important to help support your immune system. In particular, make sure you are getting enough:
- Vitamin C – found in most fruit and vegetables
- Zinc – found in most animal products and many nuts and seeds
- Iron – found in meat, beans, and lentils as well as in green leafy vegetables, such as spinach
3. Eat Well
4. Sleep Well
5. Practise Good Hygiene
When you are well we can help slow the spread of germs by:
- Washing your hand frequently with soap and water, especially after being in public places, before eating and after going to the toilet
- Use hand sanitiser when soap or water is unavailable
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects used regularly
- Try to keep a distance between yourself and other people in public places.
When you are sick it is important that you:
- Stay home to avoid spreading germs to others
- Continue to practise the good hygiene tips mentioned above
- If you are concerned about your symptoms, you may choose to get tested for COVID-19
- If you have COVID-19 you must isolate and follow the directions of your local health authorities
6. Drink Plenty of Water
7. Managing Stress
8. Get Vaccinated
Flu Vaccine - the World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends that people get a flu vaccine each year. Flu vaccines cause antibodies to develop in the body about two weeks after vaccination. These antibodies protect against infection. Even if you get the flu, your symptoms will be milder. You will be able to book into most GP’s and Pharmacies in Australia for your yearly flu vaccine.
COVID-19 Vaccine – the Australian Government is currently rolling out COVID-19 vaccines nationwide, for more information head to the Department of Health website.
Steps to take for a quick recovery
Viral germs can spread easily. Don’t worry if you become ill, follow these steps as soon as possible and you will be feeling better in no time:
- Rest and sleep
- Keep Warm
- Drink Plenty of water to avoid dehydration
- Gargle saltwater to soothe a sore throat
- Relieve a blocked nose with saline water, decongestant sprays, or tablets
- Ease aches or lower a temperature with painkillers like paracetamol or ibuprofen*
- Remember to wash your hands regularly and to cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing to avoid spreading germs.
Did you Know? Antibiotics do not work against cold or flu viruses
*Always consult your doctor before taking any medication.